Friday, February 25, 2011

The Woman and The Lost Coin

After graduating with a degree in Religion and a minor in Biblical studies from Liberty, it still amazes me how LITTLE I know about the Bible.  Not that I don't know alot, but in comparison to all there is to learn,  it seems like I know nothing.  I love that about Scripture-  I will never discover it all, I will never understand it all, and there will always be something new to learn.

Last night I was going through my workbook for the Jonah study and I was reading in Luke 15 about the parable of the lost coin.  Do you remember that story?  It's right next to the Prodigal son story, and is often overshadowed by that famous parable. 



Here is the Scripture (Luke 15:8-10)

8 “Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it? 9 And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ 10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”


I have always wondered about this parable.  Yes, if I lost a day's wages (which is equivalent to a denari, probably the coin that she lost),  I would be upset and look for it diligently too.  But I don't know if I would call together my neighbors and friends and have them celebrate with me if I found it.  I mean, it could happen this way but it just always seemed strange to me. 

Priscilla Shirer in my Bible study book says this, "When a Jewish girl married, she began to wear a headband of ten silver coins to signify that she was now a wife.  It was the Jewish version of our modern wedding ring, and it would be considered a calamity for her to lose one of the those coins." 

I had  never heard of this before, and so I got out some commentaries and started doing some research.  Sure enough, as part of her dowry, it was custom for a Jewish woman to receive a headpiece with 10 silver coins. I read that it was worn during the wedding ceremony and celebration, but I'm not sure if it was worn in her daily life or not. 

Although Scripture doesn't make it clear, I can just imagine that this is what Jesus was referring to when he told this parable. The women in the audience would have understood right away, and would have felt for the woman in the story.  Can't you just feel her anxiety? 

Have you ever lost your wedding band, engagement ring, or a diamond from you engagement ring?  I pray that never happens to me, but I could imagine the sheer panic that would set in if I did.  My engagement ring is my most treasured possession.  Not just because of the value of the ring, but because of the sentimental value and symbolism of my relationship with Jeremy. 


If you lost your ring or diamond, and if you found it, wouldn't you be so joyful?!  I would defiantly have reason to call up my friends and neighbors and have them celebrate with me then.  What relief, what happiness, what joy. 

Scripture says that feeling of rejoicing is like the joy in heaven when a sinner comes to God in repentance!

10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”



Isn't it cool to get a glimpse into God's love for us?  We are His treasured possessions.  He loves us, and He desires for us to have fellowship with Him.   He rejoices when we repent and come to Him.  Oh how  He loves us!  Thank you Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing us this glimpse of God's amazing love for us sinners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine that this is what Jesus was referring to when he told this parable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...